FAQS for the Open MPW Shuttle Program
You must have submitted a request through the Efabless platform, completed all requirements listed for submission including successfully passing a precheck on the platform. You must also have confirmed your submission in the ‘Define’ step of the request process prior to 11:59pm PST June 18, 2021.
Each project will receive 50 packaged parts and 5 evaluation boards assemblies based on prefixed package and board designs.
Each shuttle will support up to 40 projects. If qualified project submissions exceed that number, they will be selected based on criteria set by Google.
All projects must use the Caravel test harness padframe. Customization of the pads on the padframe is not supported at this time.
In a browser, navigate to http://join.skywater.tools and provide your email address. You will receive an invitation to join the community Slack channel.
The precheck provides simplified checks for FOM density for the user project. Users should correct their implementation to address any issues identified related to FOM density. Efabless will run fill generation as part of the tapeout process to the foundry.
The project must be licensed under open-source license and contain a LICENSE file with the license agreement language.
All third_party material should be under a third_party directory and have a license identifier.
All text files should have a copyright header and appropriate SPDX identifier.
- SPDX identifiers are an extra requirement.
Repository should have a README file
All documentation should use inclusive language
Projects must have a complete info.yaml containing project meta-data per the example in the Caravel User Project repo. The metadata will be used by the Efabless platform for creating entries into a public project showcase page for the shuttle program.
You can navigate to your project submission request from the Open MPW Shuttle Program landing page.
The precheck tool performs a series of checks to confirm the project meets the requirements for participating in the Open MPW Shuttle Program. The precheck tool addresses the following items:
- Ensures the project has an approved LICENSE and all third-party IP is organized correctly with its own LICENSE file.
- The project contains documentation including a populated info.yaml file. The tool checks for a minimal set of words that should not be used to comply with Google’s inclusive language policy.
- The presence of a Makefile with the following targets: compress, uncompress, clean, verify.
- The presence of netlists and GDSII files. The presence of Caravel modules within these and design complies with rules for Caravel in terms of pins and power routing.
- The DRC check using Magic with OpenLane
The tool runs as a Linux container. It can be cloned and run offline prior to uploading the project to the Efabless platform. Further details can be found on the README file located in the git repository for the tool ( https://github.com/efabless/open_mpw_precheck )
Efabless will confirm the deliverables provided by the submitter using both automated tools and manual review. This includes the following items:
- User profile
- Service agreement is accepted
- Project repo is public and accessible
- Licensing for the project and any third party components. Acceptable header files on all text and source files.
- The project contains:
- Source files to recreate the GDSII
- Verification tests
- Expected netlist and GDSII files exist including expected module and instance name based on Caravel.
- LVS and DRC checks.
- Metal density check and fill to meet the density specification for the shuttle.
The git repo for the project should include the following items.
- The project should include the Caravel test harness with the users design occupying the user space for the layout.
- The GDSII in a compressed format.
- A makefile with targets to compress, uncompress and clean the project.
- All source required to generate the GDSII including any third-party components.
- The makefile should also include verify target to executed a test verification suite for the design.
- Documentation including a README file as well as a info.yaml file containing metadata for the project
- LICENSE files for the top-level project as well as each of the third-party components used
The Open MPW Shuttle Program is sponsored by Google. All costs associated with fabrication, packaging, assembly into evaluation boards as well as shipping to world-wide locations are covered and the user bears no cost for these items.
The only item that a user may be responsible for is any import duty or taxes for shipping parts and boards to a location outside of the United States. The shipping cost will be included, but any additional costs for duty or tax are the responsibility of the recipient.
The Open MPW Shuttle Program supports a global community and will ship parts and boards to project owners worldwide.
The shipping cost will be included, but any additional costs for duty or tax are the responsibility of the recipient.
There are several options to get support.
- After you have created a request, you can submit questions directly to Efabless through the Activity tab when viewing / managing your request.
- You can post a question to the Open PDK community on slack. See the response to ‘How do I connect with the Open PDK community’ above.
- You submit a help desk ticket using the pull-out menu on the lower right side of any web page on the Efabless site.
The list of steps is provided on the 'Instructions' tab when viewing your request. They include:
- confirm the project is a public git repo with Apache v2.0 licensing
- project successfully passes the Precheck tool executed on the Efabless platform
- your profile includes your full name, email and physical address
- shipping address provided above in the request is correct
- review and accept the terms agreement from the landing page
Once you have completed these steps, please select ‘change’ next to the ‘Submitted’ status indicator to update your request status to ‘CONFIRMED’.
Efabless will then review each of your deliverables and send any questions back to you using the message thread located on the Activity tab for the request.
Once everything has been confirmed, Efabless will update the status for ‘Provider’ to ‘CONFIRMED’.
Efabless will update the status of your request for ‘Provider’ to ‘CONFIRMED’ to indicate you have met all of the requirements for your project to be included on the shuttle.
If more than 40 projects are submitted, projects will be selected randomly to be included on the current shuttle. Project owners will be notified either way on the status of their project.
The program has been extended to include a range of permissible open source licenses. The precheck tool recognizes a subset of these, but may flag a warning for other permitted licenses it does not recognize. Recognized licenses include the following list:
['0BSD', 'Apache-2.0', 'BSD-2-Clause', 'BSD-3-Clause', 'CC-BY-1.0', 'CC-BY-2.0', 'CC-BY-2.5', 'CC-BY-3.0', 'CC-BY-4.0', 'CC-BY-NC-SA-1.0', 'CC-BY-NC-SA-2.0', 'CC-BY-NC-SA-2.5', 'CC-BY-NC-SA-3.0', 'CC-BY-SA-4.0', 'CC0-1.0', 'GPL-2.0', 'GPL-3.0', 'ISC', 'LGPL-2.1', 'LGPL-3.0', 'MIT', 'Unlicense']
Licenses that are recognized by the precheck tool and explicitly prohibited include:
['AGPL-1.0', 'AGPL-3.0', 'CC-BY-NC-1.0', 'CC-BY-NC-2.0', 'CC-BY-NC-2.5', 'CC-BY-NC-3.0', 'CC-BY-NC-4.0', 'CC-BY-NC-ND-1.0', 'CC-BY-NC-ND-2.0', 'CC-BY-NC-ND-2.5', 'CC-BY-NC-ND-3.0', 'CC-BY-NC-ND-4.0', 'CC-BY-NC-SA-1.0', 'CC-BY-NC-SA-2.0', 'CC-BY-NC-SA-2.5', 'CC-BY-NC-SA-3.0', 'CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0', 'CC-BY-ND-1.0', 'CC-BY-ND-2.0', 'CC-BY-ND-2.5', 'CC-BY-ND-3.0', 'CC-BY-ND-4.0', 'CPAL-1.0', 'CPOL-1.02', 'EUPL-1.0', 'EUPL-1.1', 'EUPL-1.2', 'SISSL-1.2', 'SISSL', 'SSPL-1.0', 'Watcom-1.0', 'WTFPL']
Bare dies are not provided to users as part of this program.
Caravel includes an electronic ID implemented in the metal layer for each project slot. You will be assigned an ID upon your project being accepted for the shuttle. You will be able to electronically read this ID through a register as part of the management function for Caravel. Please see the README for more detail.